Thursday, June 3, 2010

And As You Walk Away

As I open my eyes, the world forms around me. The night sky above me, the damp grass under my back. Sitting up, I look around. I recognise where I am. It's the local school. The place is empty, as it usually is at this time of night.
I stand up, start to walk around. Why am I here? I think to myself. Suddenly, a voice calls out from behind me.
"Ashm," the voice is quiet, weak. Turning slowly, I face the person behind me. It's a female, that's for sure. But she has no distinguishable features, no way to recognise her. Her face is blank, expressionless. Her hair has no colour that I can determine, it changes smoothly, rapidly.
"Who are you?" I ask. The girl doesn't reply, she simply turns and walks away. The state that I am in, I am aware of everything. Figures flash around me, cold, a weeping face with bleeding mascara, lonely youths with acoustic guitars. The world is filled with noise, colour, and life. The girl continues to slowly walk away. My need to follow suddenly increases. I take a step forward, and the chaos disperses. Silence.
I am in a field of headstones, crumbling away. As she walks away, through the headstones, grains of stone reverse, float up, rebuilding the headstones, perfecting their ruin.
Another step forward. The headstones disappear. She is getting further and further away. Throwing caution to the wind, I run after her. She turns again, facing me. Now her face is beautiful, composed of all the pain, hurt, and love in my life. I stop in my tracks. Her long, brown hair flows in the sudden wind.
It all goes black. I hear her voice again, calling out through the dark.
"Hindsight. It's a beautiful thing, it shows successes and mistakes, fear and love."

2 comments:

  1. Blockhouse Bay Primary has been a recurring part of my dreams recently. Weird.
    Based on a dream I had last week.
    +10 to you if you get the references.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cbf getting the references but if you use that for your creative writing in english then you will get an E :D

    ReplyDelete